The Wiley House was built between 1914 and 1916 and is an exceptionally well-preserved and architecturally distinctive example of the Craftsman-Bungalow style in the city of Redmond. It was constructed by Orson Wiley, who with his wife, Emma, was one of Redmond’s early settlers. They operated an adjacent livery stable and the Eagle Bar Saloon. Wiley collected the stones for the house from the surrounding countryside. The Wiley’s fanciful Craftsman home is the elaborate legacy of their involvement in the settlement and commercial development of Redmond. As Redmond’s initial settlement period was drawing to an end, and it was maturing into an established community, the built environment increasingly reflected the area’s economic prosperity. The Craftsman style of architecture expressed a level of formal comfort which appealed to the growing American middle class, which the Wiley’s had successfully joined. Their house remains as a rare and wonderful example of Craftsman architecture in Redmond, and a reminder of one of Redmond’s pioneer families. The Wiley House was designated a Redmond City Landmark in 2007.
Story has it that once liquor was outlawed in 1919, Wiley ran a bootleg operation with a moonshine still located in the small back building behind the Stone House. Allegedly, he sold his goods in the alley or transported them to a saloon via an underground tunnel. When Wiley sold his livery business, he became a saloon keeper and his establishment was called The Eagle Bar. He was in fact one of three one-eyed bartenders in early Redmond.
It is also rumored that the Stone House is haunted. Previous owners have had the house studied by the Washington State Paranormal Investigations and Research, who believe that their is a strong presence in the house.